February 16th is National Almond Day. Whether you are eating them by themselves, using almond milk, pasta, flour, butter, oil or meal, almonds offer a delicious flavor along with many health benefits. Almonds are one of the most heart-healthy foods on the market, packed with vitamin E, magnesium and fiber.
Good for your heart. Good for your waistline. Good for your skin. What can’t almonds do?
- According to a survey of 500 health professionals, almonds may be beneficial to a healthy lifestyle.
- According the the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, “Scientific evidence suggests, but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as almonds, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.”
- Recent research from Purdue University suggests that eating almonds can help people feel satisfied for several hours, which can support weight management and counter weight gain.
- 80 percent of the world’s almonds are grown in California.
For more information you can visit:
NATIONAL DONOR DAY!!
Observed each year on February 14th, National Donor Day (also known as National Organ Donor Day) is a day to increase awareness about organ donation and the lives that can be saved. In the United States, there are more than 120,000 people waiting for a life-saving organ donation.
National Donor Day focuses on 5 different types of donations: Organs – Tissues – Marrow – Platelets – Blood. Many nonprofit health organizations sponsor blood and marrow drives and organ/tissue sign-ups across the nation. Approximately every two seconds, there is someone in the U.S. needs blood which translates to the need for over 41,000 daily donations.
Look into becoming a donor. Visit organdonor.gov for more information on organ donation.
Give the gift of Life.
Find Us On Facebook
National Pizza Day is observed annually on February 9th. Whether it is thin crust, Chicago style, deep dish or anything in between, pizza is an American favorite.
Here are some interesting facts about pizza:
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza at 36% of all pies ordered.
- Over 3 billion pizzas are sold in the USA each year. Add another 1 billion on frozen pizzas
- 17% of all US Restaurants are pizzerias.
- Antica Pizzeria, the first Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
- Gennaro Lombardi, the first Pizzeria in the United States, opened in 1895 in New York City.
- Americans consume on average 23 pounds of pizza per person each year.
Don’t forget to #GoRedForWomen today!!
Choose Your Own!!! Red Coastal Wind Jacket
Today (Wed 3rd Feb) is Carrot Cake Day!
Eaten since the Middle ages, it is thought that carrot cake came about because of the high prices and rarity of sugar. To get around this problem, inventive bakers and cooks used sweet vegetables to sweeten their cakes and voila, the humble, but oh, so delicious carrot cake was born.
How to Celebrate?
With lots and lots of carrot cake of course.
Bake some carrot cake and share with family and friends.
Did You Know…
…that according to the Food and Agriculture Organization, almost half of all carrots meant for human consumption come from China?